• Covers all models, with petrol and diesel engines, pre- and
• Includes the high-performance 190 E 2.3-16 and 2.5-16 derivatives
• Will help you decide if the 190 is right for you …
• … and if now is the right time to buy a ‘Baby Benz’
• Advice on choosing the right version, options and colours
• Comprehensive inspection guide
• Real-world running costs and parts prices
• Will help you determine whether a complete restoration is worthwhile
• Packed with key facts and figures
• Details of independent specialists, clubs and online support
Stop! Don’t buy a Mercedes-Benz 190 car without this book!
Looking for Mercedes’ legendary build quality in a car you can use every
day? The 190 (W201) range offers a unique blend of timeless styling and
advanced engineering. But buying any car of this age demands care:
follow the helpful guidance in this book to assess a promising car like
a professional, and find the right car at the right price! Synopsis
The 190 (W 201) was a landmark car for Mercedes-Benz: the predecessor to
today’s C-Class models, it was the company’s first compact saloon
(sedan) and combined advanced engineering with a new direction in body
styling, later followed by the W124 and R129 series. Engines available
included robust petrol and diesel ‘fours’, as well as a silky
‘straight-six’. The sporting 190 E 2.3-16 and 2.5-16 models, initially
developed with Cosworth, took Mercedes to new levels of performance.
Altogether, nearly 1.9 million cars were produced, and today the 190 is
an increasingly sought-after modern classic. This guide will help you
learn about the differences between models, and what to look for when
buying. What are the true running costs, and what issues – with the
mechanicals, body or interior – should you be wary of? Is a restoration
worth considering? This handy guide will take you step-by-step through
the process of finding and evaluating a good 190 and making a successful
purchase. Essential data and information about clubs and specialists
will help you look after and enjoy your 190.
Mercedes’ first-ever compact saloon, the 190 is now an increasingly
sought-after modern classic.
The only guide in English specifically written to help the would-be
buyer choose the right 190.
• Practical, easy to use layout based on successful EBG format
• 100 colour illustrations show key points to check close-up
• Notes on the evolution of the car during its production life
• Handy checklists to take with you when looking at cars to buy
• Written with the support of independent specialists and Mercedes itself